Was she going to slap you because you never in any way made him gay in the actual books, taking zero risks/doing absolutely nothing for gay characters in literature, and only announcing your “authorial intent” afterwards for a cheap shot at looking like an ~ally~
Gay people are just normal people. We are not told about any of the Hogwarts professors love lives, other than Snape, and it would be completely out of character for Dumbledore to walk around telling everyone about his sexuality.
Did you want her to make him dress in glittery platform boots, a crop top, and decorate his office in rainbow flags to make it more obvious for you? Would that be enough of a stereotype to appease you people? Or what? Please tell me. I’d like to know how you think a gay character is supposed to be portrayed.
And did you miss the Grindelwald chapters in the ‘actual books’? Or was that also not obvious enough for you? Did Dumbledore need to whisper “always” wistfully in order for you to connect that he had romantic feelings for Grindelwald? Maybe you are American and need them to gaze longingly into each others eyes with awkward close ups of their fingers almost grazing each other that Hollywood thinks means ‘true love’.
It didn’t fit into his relationship to Harry to ever say “I’m gay”, and so it was not stated explicitly (you might have noticed the book was told from Harry Potter’s perspective).
The point is though, that he is a homosexual, well respected, powerful, and very loved wizard- and his sexuality doesn’t matter because no one else thinks it matters. a.k.a. no one cares that he loves men, and that is wonderful.
Reblogging for last commentary because I really appreciate that. It challenges that many of us see hetereosexual as the norm. We really didn’t know about love lives of the professors in the book and yet we know that Rowling still made her characters way more whole than they were portrayed in the books (just check out the extra details in Pottermore (psst. add me: FireboltLight20324). I think Dumbledore being gay does normalize other sexual orientations within the wizarding world. This isnt to say that HP was a perfectly feminist world by any means.
“can’t turn a whore into a housewife”
can’t turn a misogynistic piece of shit into someone worth dating
see, the problem with white men like seth macfarlane is that they can tell other people to ‘grow a thicker skin’ or ‘stop being so offended’ because there are no ~jokes~ which poke fun at them; jokes which reinforce their lesser place in society.
try making one
jokeobservation about how pathetic white men are and see how they’ll throw the toys out of their prams, crying about ‘stupid bitches’ and ‘misandry’.
the only thing i have learned from the learning channel is how to communicate with perky pseudo-bourgeoisie escalade-driving middle-aged white women who wear nothing but overpriced sweatpants and have plastic husbands and bad boob jobs and live vicariously through their children by exploiting them for fifteen minutes of fame god bless america
- sometimes when i feel really lonely i look at photos of pretty people and pretend they’re my friends
- when i was 3 i ran over a cat’s tail with my tricycle to see what would happen and i still feel bad about it
- a few years ago my dad was dating this woman and it was christmas and she gave him a big box full of presents and one of the things was underwear and i got creeped out so i took it and hid it under my bed
- i wasn’t “sick” last christmas eve (which i told my dad) i was actually really fucking hungover
- i don’t compliment people because when i do i end up saying things like “you have such nice hair i want to scalp you and carry it around in my bag and pet it when i’m stressed” or “if i had a literal skeleton in my closet i would want it to be your skeleton because you have a very nice bone structure”
- i interact with people in my head a lot more than in real life. like a LOT mORE
and i wonder why nobody wants to be my friend HAaHAHHA
herp i’ll just re-reblog this correctly now
001 | Send me a fandom and I will tell you my:
- Favorite character:
- Least Favorite character:
- 5 Favorite ships (canon or non-canon):
- Character I find most attractive:
- Character I would marry:
- Character I would be best friends with:
- a random thought:
- An unpopular opinion:
- my canon OTP:
- Non-canon OTP:
- most badass character:
- pairing I am not a fan of:
- character I feel the writers screwed up (in one way or another):
- favourite friendship:
- character I want to adopt or be adopted by:
002 | send me a ship and I will tell you:
- when of if I started shipping it.
- my thoughts:
- What makes me happy about them:
- What makes me sad about them:
- things done in fanfic that annoys me:
- things I look for in fanfic:
- My kinks:
- Who I’d be comfortable them ending up with, if not each other:
- My happily ever after for them:
003 | Give me a character & I will tell you
- How I feel about this character:
- All the people I ship romantically with this character:
- My non-romantic OTP for this character:
- My unpopular opinion about this character:
- One thing I wish would happen / had happened with this character in canon:
- my het ship:
- my fem/slash ship:
- my OTP:
- my OT3:
- my cross over ship:
- my kink:
- a head canon fact:
- my rule 63:
004 | send me 2 fandoms and I will give you my crossover OTP